Qualified Status Changes

Whether you’re saying “I do” or growing your family, here’s what you need to know about how your life change affects your benefits.

Happy Indian bride rejoice on the day of their wedding with groom

Changing Your Coverage

In accordance with federal law, you may change your benefit elections during the year only if you have a life event or employment status change.

Depending on the nature of your status change, you’re allowed to add or drop a dependent, or elect to waive coverage through MyParkland (PeopleSoft).

Any changes in coverage must be consistent with your change in life or employment status.

Changes will be effective on the date of the status change, as long as you notify the Benefits department within 30 days of the event.

Life Event Changes at a Glance

This chart provides an overview of life events and employment status changes and how you may change your benefits for your dependents. If you have questions, contact OTM Shared Services at 469-419-3000 (ext. 7-3000). After speaking with OTM Shared Services your record will be opened in PeopleSoft so that you can make the necessary updates for your qualified status change. You will receive a follow-up email from OTM Shared Services indicating the steps that you will need to take.

Life Event ChangeAdding¹Dropping¹How To Add or Drop Dependents
Your marital status changes
You get married or divorcedYesYesMyParkland
Your dependent eligibility status changes
Add a dependent through birth or adoptionYesNoMyParkland
Add a dependent through legal guardianshipYesNoOTM Shared Services
Your dependent dies or you lose legal guardianshipYesYesOTM Shared Services
Your spouse’s coverage changes
Your spouse’s medical or dental coverage changesYesNoOTM Shared Services
Your spouse’s employment status changes
Your spouse begins employment or changes from part-time to full-timeNoYesOTM Shared Services
Your spouse involuntarily loses coverage, changes from full-time to part-time or terminates employmentYesNoOTM Shared Services
You change employment status
You begin an unpaid leave of absenceNoYesMyParkland
You change your employment status (for example, from part-time to full-time or full-time to part-time)²NoYesMyParkland
You become disabled and are receiving disability benefitsNoYesMyParkland

1Within 30 days of the event.
2You will also attend an orientation session on or near the date when your employment status changes.

Required Documentation

As part of the dependent eligibility verification process for the medical, dental or vision plans, you will be required to submit documentation to prove your relationship to your dependent, including marriage certificates, birth certificates and tax returns. Impact Interactive will mail a request for dependent eligibility verification to your home address currently on file at Parkland. Do not submit documentation until Impact Interactive sends you a verification request.

Learn more
Daughter Touching Mothers Pregnant Belly

Enrolling Newborns and Other Children

You have up to 30 days after the birth, placement for adoption, adoption of your child(ren) or appointment as legal guardian to add the child(ren) to your medical plan, even if you already have dependent coverage. If you do not enroll your newly acquired child(ren) within this time period, you will not have the opportunity to enroll them for coverage until the next Open Enrollment.

If You Leave Parkland

If your employment with Parkland ends, you will receive a letter as soon as administratively possible explaining how your benefits can continue in accordance with COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985). If you are a new hire, letters explaining your rights and those of your dependents to continue group health coverage if you leave Parkland will be mailed to your home. Additionally, see the Legal Notices section to read the notices related to free or low-cost health coverage for you and your children and the Health Insurance Marketplace.