Looking for answers? Check out this page for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about your benefits. If you still have questions, visit the OTM Service Portal at parkland.service-now.com or contact OTM Shared Services at 469-419-3000 (ext. 7-3000).

Asian mother and daughter embracing outdoor

New Hires

What benefits am I enrolled in automatically?

If you are eligible, you are automatically enrolled in the Retirement Income Plan (if full-time), part-time mandatory contributions, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), core disability and Basic Life Insurance.

When is the deadline to enroll?

As a new hire, you must enroll in all benefits (other than the Supplemental Retirement Plan) within 30 days of your hire date for coverage to begin when you become eligible.

If you do not complete your online benefits enrollment by the deadline as a new hire, you may not enroll for benefits until the next Open Enrollment unless you have a qualified status change. Additionally, you will not be enrolled for coverage under any optional plan.

The optional benefits you choose when you enroll are in effect for the rest of 2021 and for 2022.

How do I enroll?

You can enroll from home and most work computers using the web-based MyParkland on our PeopleSoft Self-Service System.

Note: If you are enrolling from a non-Parkland device, you must register for remote access through DUO first. Use this link to submit a self-service DUO Request. For technical issues with the OTM Portal, contact the Technical Support Center at 214‑590‑5999.

  1. Log on to PeopleSoft at https://hr.pmh.org/psp/pshr/?cmd=login.
  2. Enter your:
    • User ID, which is your Parkland employee ID number.
    • Default password, which is phhs plus the last four digits of your Social Security number.
  3. After clicking Sign In, select Main Menu on the home page and go to MyParkland > Benefits > Benefits Details > Benefits Enrollment. You will enroll once for both 2021 and 2022 benefits.
  4. Make sure you provide Social Security numbers. The law requires that you provide Parkland with a Social Security number for all covered dependents in the medical plan. Dependents can’t be enrolled without a Social Security number.
  5. Save a screenshot of the summary of your final elections for your records.
  6. Click Submit. Then click Done.

Don’t forget! Click Done for the system to accept your new elections.

Download detailed enrollment instructions

General Enrollment Questions

When can I make changes to my benefits?

In accordance with federal law, you may change your benefit elections during the year only if you have a change in life or employment status. Examples of life events that will enable you to change your coverage include birth or adoption of a child, marriage, divorce or loss of coverage. Review your elections carefully to see if your choices will fit your situation throughout the year. Change requests for status change event elections must be made within 30 days following the event. For more details, see the Qualified Status Changes section.

What is dependent verification?

As part of the dependent eligibility verification process for the medical, dental or vision plans, you will be required to submit documentation to prove your relationship to your dependents, including marriage certificates, birth certificates and tax returns. Be on the lookout — Impact Interactive will mail a request for dependent eligibility verification to your home address currently on file at Parkland. Do not submit documentation until Impact Interactive sends you a verification request. Learn more here.

Open Enrollment

What changes can I make during Open Enrollment?

Open Enrollment is your once-a-year opportunity to change your benefit elections. You can:

  • Enroll in or change your coverage in Parkland’s benefit programs (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, legal, disability buy-up and buy-down plans, critical illness insurance, group accident insurance, hospital indemnity and pet insurance).
  • Add or drop a dependent.
  • For the flexible spending accounts (FSAs), you must re-enroll each year to participate.
  • Sell Paid Time Off (PTO) that you have already earned or will accrue in future years.
  • Increase or decrease life insurance coverage.
When is the deadline to enroll?

The enrollment deadline will be announced prior to Open Enrollment in the fall of each year.

Do I need to enroll?

You must enroll if you want to:

  • Sell Paid Time Off (PTO).
    Through PeopleSoft (MyParkland), you can sell up to 40 hours PTO that you have already earned or will accrue in the future.
  • Verify/reverify your spouse’s access to other health care coverage through his/her employer.
    If you don’t take this step and want to cover your spouse under the Parkland Employee Health Plan (PEHP), you will pay a spousal surcharge. For 2022, that amount is $46.15 per pay period.
  • Enroll in a Health Care Spending Account or Dependent Care Spending Account.
    FSA elections do not carry over from year to year.
What if I don’t want to make any changes?

If you’re happy with your current benefits, no action is required during Open Enrollment. It’s still a good idea to verify your current mailing address, emergency contacts and contact information on file, as well as review your beneficiaries for life and AD&D insurance at PeopleSoft (MyParkland). You can review your beneficiaries for the Supplemental Retirement Plan and the Retirement Income Plan (for full-time employees) at MillimanBenefits.com.


How do the tiers in the Parkland Employee Health Plan (PEHP) work?

The PEHP offers three coverage tiers. You can go to a doctor in any of these tiers. The plan pays a different amount for benefits depending on which tier your doctor is in.

  • Tier 1: Parkland Network — Get the highest level of benefits and lowest copays.
  • Tier 2: UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus Network —You’ll pay higher copays and must meet higher deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums compared to Tier 1.
  • Tier 3: Out of Network — Use any provider/facility outside of Tiers 1 and 2 and receive out-of-network Tier 3 benefits. This tier has the highest deductibles and out-of-pocket maximum.

Learn more here.

Do all of my doctors need to be in the same tier?

No, you can see providers in any of the three tiers. For example, you might see your PCP, who is a Tier 1 Parkland provider. Your allergist may be in Tier 2, and your dermatologist might be in Tier 3. The tier your doctor is in will determine what you pay for office visits and where you can get your prescriptions filled (see Pharmacy below). Remember, Tier 1 providers offer the highest level of benefits and lowest copays. Log in to umr.com to see a list of Tier 1 and Tier 2 providers. Providers not on this list would be considered Tier 3, and you will receive out-of-network benefits for those office visits.

Do I need to pick a primary care physician (PCP)?

You’re not required to choose a PCP, and you don’t need referrals to see a specialist. But choosing a PCP may still make sense. A PCP knows your medical history and can help coordinate your care. The amount you pay for office visits will be based on which tier your doctor is in.

Does the PEHP offer benefits for virtual care visits?

Yes. You and your covered dependents can use Teladoc if you’re enrolled in the PEHP. You will pay a $24 copay per visit with a Teladoc physician. Talk to a U.S. board-certified doctor 24/7 via phone, video or mobile app who can answer your questions, make a diagnosis and even prescribe basic medications (subject to availability by state). Set up your account in advance at Teladoc.com or call 800-Teladoc (800‑835‑2362). If you have a virtual care visit outside of the Teladoc network, you will pay the copay related to that doctor’s tier in the PEHP.

Does the PEHP cover visits to free-standing emergency rooms?

Visits to out-of-network, free-standing emergency rooms are not covered. This mean facilities that:

  • Provide emergency medical services at a place outside of a regular hospital campus, and
  • Are not attached to a hospital or even located near one.

In the event of an emergency, go to a hospital emergency room. For details on emergency care in the PEHP, see the Medical section.


Where can I fill prescriptions?

Where you can fill your prescription depends on the type of provider who writes it. Pharmacies include the Parkland Central Pharmacy, a Community Oriented Primary Care (COPC) pharmacy1 or a retail pharmacy in the MedImpact network.


Parkland Central Pharmacy, COPC Pharmacy or Parkland Mail Order1Retail Pharmacies in MedImpact Broad Network or MedImpact Direct Mail‑Order Service
Tier of Provider Writing Prescription
Tier 1 provider at a Parkland facilityYesYes
Tier 1 provider at a non-Parkland facility2 OR Tier 2 provider in the UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus NetworkNoYes
Tier 3 out-of-network providerNoYes

1 You may fill regular prescriptions at the new RedBird Health Center Pharmacy, 3560 W. Camp Wisdom in Dallas. However, you may not fill mail-order prescriptions at this location.
2 Tier 1 providers at a non-Parkland facility include Children’s Medical Center and William P. Clements University Hospital.

How can I fill my maintenance medications?

With mail order, you can receive up to a 90-day supply of your medicine. The first time you fill a prescription, ask your provider for two prescriptions — one that you can fill immediately and one that you can fill through the mail-order service.

  • Use the Parkland mail-order service for prescriptions written by a Tier 1 provider at a Parkland facility.
    Submit your prescriptions and refill requests through the online refill page on the Parkland Intranet under Pharmacy Employee Online Refills, or by fax at 214-590-2879. Questions? Call 214-590-1400.
  • Use the MedImpact Direct Mail-Order Service for prescriptions written by a:
    • Tier 1 provider at a non-Parkland facility
    • Tier 2 provider in the UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus Network
    • Tier 3 out-of-network provider

For MedImpact Direct Mail-Order Service, call 855-873-8739 Monday – Friday from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Central time. You can also call Saturday from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Central time.

What are the differences between generic and brand-name drugs?

The pharmacy program divides medications into three categories:

  • Generic — These drugs contain the same active ingredients and are subject to the same standards as brand-name drugs with respect to quality, strength and purity. Using a generic drug offers the lowest-cost option, regardless of where you fill your prescription. To save money, ask your doctor to prescribe a generic if available. Generics can cost 25% to 75% less than brand-name drugs yet are equally as effective.
  • Preferred brand-name — This category includes brand-name drugs with no generic equivalent that are included on the preferred drug list (also called a formulary). This list includes medications that are proven to be safe, effective and affordable.
  • Non-preferred brand name — This category includes brand-name drugs that have generic equivalents or another brand-name option on the preferred drug list. You will pay more money to fill a prescription from the list. You and your doctor may decide that a medication in this category is best for you.
Will I receive a separate prescription drug ID card?

No. You’ll receive one ID card that includes both medical and pharmacy information.


What’s the difference between the DHMO and the DPPO?

With the DHMO, you get care through the DHMO network of dentists. Except for emergencies, you must receive care from a network dentist to receive benefits. There are no deductibles, and you pay a set copay for care according to a patient charge schedule.

With the DPPO, you can see any dentist, but you’ll save money if you use a Cigna network dentist. After you meet the deductible, you and the plan share the cost.

Do the dental plans cover orthodontia?

With the DHMO, orthodontia is covered for adults and children.

With the DPPO, orthodontia is only covered for dependent children under age 26.

Will I get a dental ID card?

Yes, you will receive a dental ID card when you enroll for the first time. You can request a replacement card by submitting a request online at cigna.com or calling 800-Cigna24 (800‑244‑6224).

Do I need a referral to see a specialist?

That depends on which dental plan you choose.

DHMO: Your network general doctor will refer you to a specialist in the network.

DPPO: No referral is needed to see a specialist. Remember, you’ll save money if you use a provider in the Cigna network.


Will I get a vision ID card?

Yes. You will receive a vision ID card when you enroll for the first time. If you need a replacement card, contact Superior Vision at 800‑507‑3800. You can also request a replacement card or print a card at superiorvision.com.

What’s the difference between an optometrist and an ophthalmologist?

An optometrist is an eye doctor who can perform eye exams and vision tests, as well prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses.

An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who specializes in eye care. Ophthalmologists can diagnose and treat eye disease, perform eye surgery, and prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

How much money can I expect to save on taxes with an FSA?

Generally, federal taxes range from 15% to 28%, which means you could save about 30 cents on every dollar you spend on eligible expenses.

Do FSA funds roll over from year to year?

No. You will lose any spending account money you don’t use by March 15, 2023. You have until March 31, 2023, to request reimbursement and file claims for 2022 expenses. You will forfeit any remaining amount.

Can I use the Health Care Spending Account for my domestic partner’s health care expenses?

No. According to current IRS regulations, your domestic partner’s expenses can’t be reimbursed through your Health Care Spending Account. By federal law, you must be legally married to pay for your spouse’s eligible health care expenses with your Health Care Spending Account.

How do I decide how much to contribute to the Health Care Spending Account?

First, review your family’s health care bills for the last few years. Then, consider whether you have any big planned expenses for next year, such as surgery or having a baby. Include only out-of-pocket expenses that aren’t paid by health care coverage. Estimate carefully, as you’ll lose whatever you don’t use by March 15, 2023. Visit payflex.com to use an interactive budget worksheet.

How long do I have to use my 2021 Health Care or Dependent Care FSA balance?

For each account, you have until March 15, 2022, to use your 2021 balance. Any amount remaining after that deadline will be forfeited. You must file FSA claims related to 2021 accounts by March 31, 2022.

What is the Dependent Care Subsidy?

Parkland offers a special incentive to encourage you to contribute to the Dependent Care Spending Account.

  • Parkland’s contribution is equal to 25% of the amount that you contribute (up to $1,000 per year).
  • The total maximum contribution per year is $5,000 ($4,000 from you and $1,000 from Parkland contribution).
  • For example, if you contribute $2,800, Parkland will contribute $700 (25% of $2,800) for a total contribution of $3,500.
How do I decide whether to take a tax deduction on my federal income tax or use an FSA?

Keep these points in mind.

  • Only health care expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income can be deducted from your income taxes, according to the IRS.
  • For dependent care expenses, take a look at the tax credit vs. the spending account. The tax credit is determined by applying a percentage to your total dependent care expenses. Based on current tax structure, generally the tax credit is more beneficial than a dependent care spending account if your family income is under $24,000.

Life and AD&D

What is evidence of insurability (EOI)?

Evidence of insurability (EOI) is a statement of health that insurance companies may require before insurance will be effective. If you are required to provide EOI, the insurer must approve your enrollment before your coverage is effective. An EOI form will be mailed to your home if needed. See below for when EOI is required.

  • As a new hire: If you elect coverage over 3 times your salary for you (up to $500,000) or more than $50,000 for your spouse.
  • During Open Enrollment if you want to:
    • Enroll for more than 3 times coverage or $500,000
    • Increase your coverage by more than 1 times annual base salary
    • Increase your spouse’s life coverage
What is a beneficiary?

A beneficiary is the person you designate to receive your benefits. You must elect a beneficiary to receive your life and AD&D benefits. Go online to PeopleSoft (MyParkland) to name your beneficiary.


When am I considered disabled?

You’re considered disabled if the following occurs as a result of physical disease, injury, pregnancy or behavioral health disorder:

  • You’re unable to perform the duties of your job, and
  • You suffer a loss of at least 15% to 20% of your pre-disability job earnings.
When can I take a Family Medical Leave of Absence (FMLA) leave?

Eligible employees may be able to take an unpaid Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) of up to 12 weeks, in any 12 months for certain situations, such as the birth of a child or if you have a serious medical condition.

If a family member suffers a serious injury or illness while serving on active duty, you may take up to 26 weeks of unpaid leave.

How does my PTO fit in?

All Parkland employees are required to use PTO while off work (except for military leave). If you are receiving disability pay, any PTO you have will offset the remainder of your normal base pay.

Paid Time Off

How much PTO can I sell?

During Open Enrollment, you can sell up to 40 hours of PTO that you have already earned or will accrue in the future. Parkland will pay 100% of your hourly base pay rate for each hour that you sell. You will receive payment for the PTO that you sell in one lump sum that will be included in your first check in April 2022 (April 12, 2022).

Pet Insurance

Do I need to re-enroll for this benefit every year?

No. Once you are enrolled, your policy will automatically renew every year.

Can I still use my current vet?

Yes. You’re free to take your pet to any licensed veterinarian anywhere in the world — including specialists and emergency providers.


How do I maximize my annual contributions to the Supplemental Retirement Plan (SRP)?
  1. Decide how much you want to contribute.
  2. Your before-tax and Roth after-tax contributions will be allocated first to your 403(b) account in the SRP.
  3. When you reach the IRS maximum for the 403(b) account, your contributions will automatically convert to 457(b) contributions.
  4. When you reach the combined before-tax and/or Roth after-tax limit for 403(b) and 457(b) contributions:
    • Your contributions will automatically convert to 403(b) after-tax contributions, ensuring that you receive any remaining match.
    • If you prefer to stop your contributions rather than converting them to 403(b) after-tax contributions, call Milliman at 800‑995‑2608. Let the representative know that you do not want to start making 403(b) after-tax contributions. Your elections for before-tax and Roth after-tax contributions will resume at the beginning of the next year.
  5. If your 403(b) before-tax and/or Roth after-tax contributions converted to 457(b) and/or 403(b) after-tax during the year, they will restart as 403(b) contributions for the following calendar year.
May I take any money out of the Supplemental Retirement Plan while I am working?

Yes. You have two ways to take money out of the Supplemental Retirement Plan while you are working – loans and in-service withdrawals.

  • Loans. You may request a loan from your before-tax 403(b), Roth after-tax and rollover accounts. The SRP will access your Roth after-tax accounts last. You may not take a loan from your before-tax 457(b), after tax and part-time mandatory contributions. You may have one outstanding loan at a time. You may borrow:
    • A minimum of $1,000
    • Up to the lesser of one-half of your total vested account balance (excluding part-time mandatory contributions) or $50,000, reduced by your highest outstanding loan balance during the last 12 months.
  • In-Service Withdrawals. You may:
    • Withdraw from your after-tax or rollover accounts at any time.
    • Request a full or partial withdrawal of your account balance after age 59½ if you are 100% vested in the Parkland match.
    • Apply for a financial hardship withdrawal from all or part of your before-tax 403(b) and Roth after-tax 403(b) contributions and the vested portion of Parkland’s matching contributions.
    • Apply for an unforeseeable emergency withdrawal from your before-tax 457(b) and Roth after-tax 457(b) contributions if you or your dependents incur a severe financial hardship as defined in the Summary Plan Description in Legal Notices.